Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Whip Up Wednesday: DIY Doll Wardrobe



This past Christmas we descended into the land of the American Girl doll. I don't know how long the phase will last, but we have started to acquire clothes and accessories. In redoing my girls shared room, one of my goals has been to have a place for everything. This can be a challenge with all of the little stuff that little people like to collect, but a battle worth fighting. We only have a few little outfits for each doll (lovingly made by my talented MIL), but there are more in our future, I'm sure.


I decided that each girl needed a little closet for their doll clothes. These closets don't fit a lot in them, but they are a great solution as I wait to see how serious we're going to be with this collection!

Want to make a little closet of your own? Here's what you need:

A wooden crate or box (I found these half crates at Michaels for a great price!)
A dowel (1/2 " or smaller), cut to fit the width of your closet
Wood glue
A drill and drill bit the same size as your dowel
2 nails/hammer


1. Using drill and drill bit, make a hole in one side of your crate about an inch from the top (you can determine the best placement based on the shape/size of your crate). Repeat step on other side of crate (measuring to make sure the holes line up!).

2. Put your dowel through one side of crate, stopping when it's halfway through. Put a spot of wood glue on each end and push into place.


3. To secure dowel into place, choose a nail that is long enough to go through the front of the crate and through the dowel. Drill a hole where the nail will be placed, through the front of crate and dowel (about 3/4 of the length of nail). Hammer nail into place and you're done!

1 comment:

  1. So. Just found your space here through Pinterest somehow and I'm so impressed with this! I can also relate to "a place for everything"--with the stress on that word! It is my life's greatest goal. "A Place for Everything, and Everything in its Place" my mother always says. Look forward to seeing more! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete